Monday, August 2, 2010
You can vegan it up by removing the cheese or adding a substitute like daiya mozzarella.
This recipe calls for dough, sauce and a half ball of part/skim mozzarella.
Brad's Basic Pizza Dough
1 1/4 cups warm water
1 tsp n active dry yeast
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
3 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1) To make the dough by hand, whisk the yeast and oil into warm water until it is foamy.
2) Add the flour and salt and mix until the dough comes together.
3) Work the dough on a floured surface until it becomes smooth and not lumpy.
4) Place the dough into a lightly oiled bowl, turning so the dough is completely coated with olive oil.
5) Cover and allow the dough to rise until it has doubled in size, about an hour. You can divide it again if you wish and let it rise further, or save half for later.
6) Stretch the dough out on a floured surface or roll it out.
7) Dust a pizza pan with cornmeal and place crust on the pan.
8) Top it with your desired topping and bake.
Quick Chunky Pizza Sauce
2 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cloves garlic1 can of whole tomatoes (or diced) and juice
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 tsp oregano
1 tbs fresh basil
couple cranks of pepper
Heat oil over medium heat. Fry onion until just translucent. Add garlic and cook for a couple minutes without browning. Add the tomatoes, herbs and salt. Cover and simmer for a half hour, stirring as necessary. I use a potato masher to gently press the tomatoes after about 15 minutes have gone by. Once the tomatoes have reduced and thickened you can remove from heat and allow them to cool. Spread on the crust to the coverage you need and top with cheese and other toppings.