Sunday, October 10, 2010
( I didn't rest the dough over night as the recipes called for. I just let it sit for a few hours while I prepared some other things.)
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
1 egg, or egg substitute, well beaten
2 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1. Heat the molasses in a small saucepan to boiling. Boil for 1 minute. Add sugar and butter, stir until the butter is melted. Cool. Beat in egg.
2. Sift together flour, salt, soda, and spices. Add to first mixture and mix thoroughly.
3. Cover bowl tightly and chill overnight. Roll out a portion of the dough at a time on a lightly floured surface or floured pastry cloth. Roll out thin, a quarter inch or so. Cut into desired shapes.
4. Bake in at 350 degrees for 6 to 8 minutes.
Orange Ginger Cookies
3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 egg or egg substitute
2 Tbsp. dark corn syrup
2 tsp. soda
1 Tbsp warm water
grated rind of 1 large orange
slivered almonds, if desired
1. Sift together flour, cinnamon, ginger and cloves.
2. Cream butter; add sugar and cream again. Beat in egg and syrup. Dissolve soda in warm water and add to creamed mixture. Add orange rind and sifted ingredients. Mix well.
3. Chill several hours or overnight.
4. Roll out very thin on floured work surface or slightly floured pastry cloth. Cut into desired shapes. Place a piece of almond on each cookie, if desired.
5. Arrange on ungreased cookie sheets. Bake at 400 degree 5 to 10 minutes.