Sunday, October 4, 2009

How to Make Friends and Oppress People

I picked up a few books yesterday. I couldn't resist How to Make Friends and Oppress People (Classic Travel Advice for the Gentleman Adventurer) by Vic Darkwood, simply based upon the title. I don't think it's for everybody, but I think it's pretty funny. I've read my share about the British Empire over the years. The author guides you through typical travel topics, but sends them up in a cod Victorian style. Interspersed is travel advice from actual travel guides from the 19th and early 20th century. It's hard to imagine accomplishing so much dressed in tweed and roughing it by being forced to make your own gin and tonic amongst 'savage natives' in places like Italy and Spain. But should you enjoy a very erudite joke on the English Gentleman it might be worth a look.

I also picked up:

The Global Soul by Pico Ayer
Long Way Down by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman
Dark Star Safari by Paul Theroux

No comments:

Post a Comment