Saturday, October 24, 2009

Long Way Down

I've been reading Long Way Down by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman. In 2007 Charley and Ewan embarked on a motorcycle journey from John o'Groats in Scotland to Cape Town, South Africa. I watched the documentary they did a couple months ago, so I thought I'd look through the book to see what they didn't want shown by the cameras. I've really enjoyed the book. It's like reading a friend's travel diary. Charley and Ewan narrate their story switching back and forth in a conversational format, giving their reflections on what they're seeing, how they're feeling, etc. I liked Long Way Round too, but I actually think this is a better book. One of the most endearing aspects of the their story is that they seem just like any other traveler; they aren't historians, professional travel writers, or aid workers. They see cool stuff, meet interesting people, but they don't go into the scholarly details. They get ticked off when things break down, get into arguments with one another or their team, and are just as awestruck by what they are doing as we'd be. They make a lot of Star Wars jokes too. In the process they also draw attention to causes they care about: The Children's Hospice Association Scotland, UNICEF, and Riders for Health.

Long Way Down

No comments:

Post a Comment