Sunday, November 13, 2011

Spinach Salad

Here's a great salad recipe that I appropriated from Giada De Laurentiis. I made this last weekend while I was watching football and making bread. It didn't occur to me to take a picture of it, till it was already gone. 

Giada's calls for prosciutto, but I used tempeh bacon instead (pictured below). I thought is worked pretty well. If you're using fresh citrus in your dressing, remember it'll turn bitter after a day or two.   

1 bag of baby spinach rinsed
4 tablespoons toasted pine nuts or walnuts (optional)
6 slices vegan bacon or tempeh cooked according to the instructions
2 oranges, zested, and juiced
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
2 tablespoons honey
1 clove garlic crushed
3/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3/4 cup olive oil

For the dressing:
Combine the orange zest, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, honey, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mix until smooth. Add the olive oil in a steady stream until combined.

To serve:

Crumble the bacon onto the spinach, and sprinkle with nuts, if using, then drizzle with dressing and serve.Goes well with some sliced avacodo too.

No comments:

Post a Comment