Sunday, July 1, 2012

Vegan Pancakes


It's Sunday, my favorite day of the week. The day I do my long runs, make updates to the blog, and try to get the laundry and a million other things done. My favorite thing to do is to make a big English-style breakfast for Jenni and the boys while I listen to my travel podcasts.

I've been making breakfast since I was about 7. At least once a month I would get up early and reduce my parents' kitchen to a heavily floured and drippy rubble. (In high school this ritual would begin at 3 or 4 am when I rolled in from wherever I'd been.) I no longer inflict the same level of damage on the pots and pans, nor do I have to do as much explaining. I've mastered pumpkin pancakes, buttermilk pancakes, chocolate, blueberry, Swedish and potato pancakes. Here is a fantastic vegan pancake recipe that I modified from Vegan with a Vengance by Isa Chandra Moskowtiz from the Post Punk Kitchen. Fantastic and quick.

1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground cloves
2 tbs vegetable oil
1/3 cup water
1 1/4 cups soy milk
1 tsp vanilla or almond extract
Maple Syrup

Oil a large skillet over medium heat.

In a large bowl sift the dry ingredients together. In a separate bowl combine the wet ingredients. When mixed add the wet ingredients to the dry and stir until combined, a tablespoon or two of flour if it's not the consistency you like.

Use a 1/3 cup or a ladle and add the batter to the skillet and cook until browned on both sides. Transfer the pancakes to a plate.

Enjoy 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment