Sunday, February 21, 2010

An Irreverent Curiousity

 After hearing several recommendations, I picked up An Irreverent Curiosity: In Search of the Church's Strangest Relic in Italy's Oddest Town. The book is equal parts travel log, history lesson and mystery. Sort of a much funnier, Da Vinci Code. David Farley paints an affectionate and vivid portrait of the townspeople of tiny Calcata, Italy, the former resting place of the Holy Foreskin of Jesus Christ. I didn't know much about relic veneration within the Catholic Church before I began reading the book. Nor can I remember reading anything where the word 'foreskin' is mentioned so prominently. It's a hysterical and educational journey.

Here is a link to a podcast where Rick Steves speaks David Farley.









1 comment:

  1. Brad, perhaps I can borrow that book as I still have another three weeks of being home with my cast.

    Also, kudos for the Simon CD!

    Aunt Diney Boo

    ReplyDelete