Thursday, August 16, 2012

Foursquare

I don't use near the number of apps on my iPhone that I used to. But I've been using Foursquare quite a bit lately. Foursquare allows you to find restaurants, gas stations, shops, services, etc. You get badges and points every time you 'check in.' Foursquare shares where you are and what you're doing with your friends, and it can also post your activity on sites like Facebook or Gogobot.

It doesn't make a whole lot of difference to me how many points I get or whether I'm the mayor of this place or that, and badges? We don't need no stinking badges. But one thing Foursquare is starting to do more frequently is feature 'Specials' when you 'check in.' They're coupons, really. If there is one thing we can all use a little more of right now; it's cash, right? For the past several weeks my local Jewel has featured a $3 off 'Special' for spending $10. You just show the 'Special' on your phone by unlocking it when you 'check in' and display it at check-out. My local health food store, Naturally Yours, has featured 10% off 'Specials.' It's probably the best thing I've seen from one of my apps. An app that pays you back. Restaurants and many of the stores I shop at have been featuring $5 off for $10 spent if you use AmEx, even at the comic book store my sons frequent. I just used the AmEx 'Special' at our favorite Thai restaurant. So, with food prices and everything else on the rise, it might be worth your time to add Foursquare to your device. It's a free app too. It's great being social, but everybody likes a little payback now and then.

No comments:

Post a Comment