Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 4 - January 1st 2014

I woke up feeling a bit under the weather yesterday morning, imagine that? I'd stayed up with Harry to watch the ball drop in New York and had one more glass of whiskey. He had cheese and crackers and I contented myself with some rosemary bread with a bit of olive oil. I really didn't need that last glass of whiskey, but I don't remember it bothering me at the time.

I decided to start the day with a green drink. I used 2 stalks of celery, one lemon, two green apples, two big handfuls of spinach, one cucumber and a dash of salt. I went ahead and had a couple of Van's waffles as well. When my headache didn't subside I made a very large cup of coffee.

In between checking the football games, taking down the tree and watching hockey I decided to make an Ethipian Lentil Soup. It had one of the most complex spicing I've ever attempted. I mixed allspice, cardamon, tumeric, ginger, cloves, cinnamon, papricka and salt to season the lentils, red lentils for this one and I had to make a substitute for the clarified butter that is the usual base for the soup. Mine was an onion/garlic reduction again loaded with spices. The only other ingredients were tomatoes, onions and again, a lot of garlic. I would say it was just okay. The house still smells a bit like Addis Ababa however, which is nice. For dinner we just ate leftovers and snacked on chips while we watched Downton Abbey and Sherlock.

Jenni rode the bike in the evening and I ran 3.5 miles on the treadmill. 

No comments:

Post a Comment